Things No One Usually Tells U About Photography
Recently I attended a Photography Exhibition and had a reality check on what photography really is. I always had it in mind to succeed all it takes is CREATIVITY and GETTING YOUR SELF OUT THERE. Truth is ITS NOT ONLY THAT.
PHOTOGRAPHY IS JUST LIKE ANY OTHER BUSINESS TO SUCCEED YOU NEED TO BE A BUSINESS PERSON. Its a business- clear and simple.
All I wanted to be was a photographer, plan my shot, take a pic and post it on social media and hoping someone will notice my work and get me somewhere big (it could happen out of luck) but not to all of us. Things I’ve learnt (not in a particular order) and need to work on.
- Create a personal project (a word, a phrase or a subject)
- Create a brand for your self , don’t call your work John’s Photography-make a proper brand for your self.
- Make a business plan – Important Important Important
- Contrasting your pictures will give them a punch – that wow factor that your looking for
- Do something that will be sell-able to another human being
- Create a schedule for your project and stick to it (such as date, when, where, project completion date)
- Enter Competitions
- Make your self seen in the Industry
- Photography is an Art – there is no write or wrong – do what appeals to u
- Forget the rules of thirds- that only applies to landscape photography
- I got this line from Martin Grahame Dunn- he said”beauty lies in the eyes of the cheque holder” Simply to make money out of photography you need to do what your client wants you to do. You can have your favorite photography genre and work on it but to earn you do what your client wants.
- Get insurance for your equipment
- Establish your presence in all social platforms
- Do PR
- Dont be scared of bright light, use it to your advantage
- This also I learnt from Martin Grahame Dunn- wear a cap when going for shoots
Those are just a few things at the top of my head. Its not easy as there are a thousand photographers out there; hard work and learning how to establish a business will get you there and of course creativity and photography skills are essential but to get the ching ching learn business.